Saturday, February 21, 2009

Black and White

The Canadian Improv Games. This nation-wide high school tournament literally shaped who I am today. Back when I was in high school, this extra-curricular activity didn't change who I am, it made me who I am. I played in three regional tournaments for my school, and made it to the nationals in my graduating year. Which, at the time, was my dream. I spent all five of my years at John Rennie High School dreaming about winning the Montreal CIG, and making it to Ottawa to compete with the best in Canada. That dream came true.

Best part was, during 2007, my final year of JRHS and my last chance to be a competitor in the games, a woman named Sandra Chwialkowska went all across the country, visiting schools and students all over Canada, making a documentary about the Canadian Improv Games (during it's 30th anniversary). And not only did she interview the kids, but she interviewed the people that make it happen. Including the national directors, the head-ref (yes, there are referees) of the national tournament, and even David Sheperd, who was one of the founding fathers of improvisation and the CIG, and what it is today.

I went to Ottawa last night to see the big screen premiere of In The Moment, which was amazing. I managed to get a copy of the documentary on DVD a year ago, but it's making it's way through Canada now on select-big-screens, which is absolutely phenominal for Sandra... and for me. Y'see, I'm in this documentary. Sandra interviewed thousands of students, and picked six (or so) for it to focus on. And I'm one of the six. And I have one word concerning that; fucking wow.

It's been two years since my high school dream came true. And I've still been involved with CIG in these years. For the 2008 tournament, I was the coach of one of JRHS' improv teams, and I couldn't've been prouder than my kids. I still am, even though I'm not coaching anymore. Instead, I'm on stage, wearing the black and white jersey of the games' very own referees. I'm the Time-Keeper for the Montreal games.

Tonight is the final round of Montreal's Canadian Improv Games 2009. I don't know how last night of semi-finals went, since I was in Ottawa, but I am confident that both Rennie teams made it to finals, as they tend to do. This year is their year, I feel. Because even though JRHS didn't take home the gold in 2008, they have a tradition to live up to this year. You see, the trophy for the Montreal games is a painting of a matador. Plaques are lined up on both sides of the painting. And the entire left side of the painting is held by John Rennie High School. 2009 is a left-side year for the games, and Rennie hasn't lost one yet.

But that doesn't really matter to me. It'd be amazing if Rennie did it and went back to Nationals and took on the best of the country again, don't get me wrong. But I'm not on a team, and thus my cheer is for "Everyone," as improv has been, is, and always will be about everyone involved.

I'm bringing my camera to the games tonight, so hopefully I'll get some good photos. If I do, expect them soon.

No comments: