Monday, October 13, 2008

Opportunities

So my possibility of becoming a bartender has increased significantly. For multiple reasons.

1: I have completed my bartending course at John Abbott College, and I do have my Introductory Bartending Certificate, which isn't the best but it is better than having zero education in this field, and a lot of people get hired without the education. I know free-pour and how the BERG system works, I know tons of recipes ranging from cocktails to martinis, even to specialty coffees and hot chocolates and teas and whatnot.

2: My bartending teacher liked some of the recipes I came up with, and I'm constantly coming up with new recipes too. I had a lovely chat with the bartender at the Avon Theatre before seeing Cabaret, and she listened to some of my recipes and liked how they sounded. She said if I was ever interested in a summer job and could find a place to stay in Stratford, I could easily be a theatre bartender there.

3: My sister Sarah is in town, and she's told me that this place called Vinyl downtown is looking for a bartender. She's going tomorrow evening with a friend, and I'm going to go with them with a version of my CV (I'm going to make a bartending version for this purpose) and a photocopy of my certificate. With luck, I'll get a job there. Hopefully Friday nights. If I can do one night a week and that night works for Vinyl, then that'd be awesome, because then it doesn't conflict with school and I would still have my weekends to travel and do homework and whatnot.

4: Even though I have my certificate, and even though I'm not a resident of Ontario, I might look into getting what is called a Smart Serve. I can do it online, I just need to get the money in order to do it. If I can get it, it would certainly help with getting a job in this field.

So those are the reasons why my chances of getting a job as a bartender are increasing. Granted, I am a bit young (only of legal age here in Quebec), but if I can prove that I can do it and show promise in my mixing skills, I might have a job. Wish me luck with Vinyl!

No comments: