Sunday, June 8, 2008

Karaoke Kid

It all started off as just a couple of my old high school friends inviting me out several months ago.

I go to this CEGEP in St-Anne-de-Bellevue, which is like the furthest point west on the island of Montreal. Any further out than that, and you're going to end up off island. Anyway, St-Anne's is a small town, like a village, thriving with student life. It's all students renting apartments, or enjoying something of a night life.

Now, for a night life, there are a small handful of places in St-Anne's that you can go. There's "The Pub," which has a decent bar, a pool table, even a pinball machine. If I recall correctly anyway. There's a lot of space for people to dance though. It reminds me a lot of smaller clubs downtown where girls go because they want to dance. On occasion, the Pub will have some stand-up comedians, but other than that, I don't know much of what it does. It's not my cup of tea.

There's also this bar/pub/thing called Annie's. It's a student favorite, for the ones who aren't into club music or dancing. I've never been in there myself, and personally, I don't care to. From what I can tell, it's a lot like the Pub in a sense where it attracts younger people. And when I say "younger people," I really mean "underaged girls with too much make up and fake I.D. that even a monkey could recognize that it's fake." Nothing against bartenders or bouncers who check these I.D.s and let them in, it's just a touch ridiculous.

So I wasn't really one to go out in St-Anne's.

And then, several months ago, my friends invited me out to this pub called The Phoenix (in my first post, I called it "Reborn From Ashes" (because I wasn't sure how much I wanted to disclose about myself or my life at the time)). It was a Saturday night, and it was karaoke. It's a smaller pub. But immediately, I knew that I liked it. It had the right feeling, and the right crowd for me.

I didn't go too often at first, but I did go every now and then. I met some people there, and now they're really good friends. Saturdays have become karaoke night for us all, going on a weekly basis. We also go on Thursdays, simply to chill, listen to the jukebox, and play pool. I have a lot of fun there. I learned how to play pool there, and now I'm really good at it. Like, above average. I also get to practice singing there. I was never confident about singing, but now there are songs that I will sing at karaoke without question or second thought. It's my pub of choice.

That's where I just got home from. I got back from Karaoke on yet another Saturday night. The thing that made this Saturday, and last Saturday, different from all the rest was that I actually dedicated a couple songs to someone. The Girl in the Capital. My GC. It sucks that she wasn't there to hear me make a fool of myself (I say "make a fool of myself" in place of "sing") for her, but still, I sang for her.

I had a good night.

No comments: