Thursday, June 19, 2008

Super

I don't often watch TV. There's only one television show that I tune in purposefully for; Heroes. Other than that, I channel surf once in a while, but I really use the television to watch a movie or something. Unless I have guests over. If they want to watch something, then we'll tune in. Or we'll surf. Either way, if someone's over, it's an easy method of entertainment.

Earlier I was channel surfing, and I came across Myth Busters. It's a good show, and I really enjoy it whenever I come across it. What I caught in tonight's episode was an exploding vacuum cleaner, a rolling stone gathers no moss, and breaking glass with the power of your voice. It's the last one that really caught my interest.

With an amplifier, someone can break a glass if they hit the right tone. That's understandable. Match the tone and frequency, and sound can break glass, provided you have enough power to do so. With help from the amplifier, it's just a matter of hitting the right tone, and the glass will break. But can someone's voice break glass unassisted?

It can. I just saw it. It was really cool.

A man broke a glass with his voice. No microphone or amplifier. Just his voice. Even the concept of it is enough to make people interested, but the fact that it is humanly possible? That just blew my mind. It made me think of my books.

Yeah, the series of books I'm writing is completely fiction. It's all original from my mind. It's about superheroes, y'know? I try to make it as realistic as possible, adding science to fictional powers wherever I can. Seeing a man shatter glass with his voice alone just made me think of what I was writing about.

I love writing my books. I'm on the fourth one now, which is exciting to think about, since I started the series about eleven months ago. I always here people say "stick to what you know." I know a lot about superheroes, so that's what I ended up writing about. And it's working out pretty well for me.

The first three books focus on the same protagonist. There are five year gaps between each of those three books (second book takes place five years after the first, and the third is five years after the second). That system worked for me for the first trilogy. But with the fourth one, I decided to explore my options and change things up.

The beauty about writing about superheroes, even in novels, the same concept of comic books apply. As long as you have the character(s), there are stories to tell. One story can end, wrap up all the loose ends, and all of that. But if a character's still around, there's more to write about. Even though my fourth book follows a new protagonist, the main protagonist from the first three books is still around... in the background. But he's there none the less.

It's fun to write these stories. I don't know if they'll ever be published or adapted or anything, but I would absolutely love them to be. I want to share my writing with whoever is interested. So when I finished book four, I'm going back to book one, and doing self-editing, then I'll start looking for professional help. As in a professional editor, and then a publishing agent. Hell, if I find an artist, I might adapt the book into a graphic novel. That would work too.

But even if nothing happens with them, I still love what I'm doing with it.

No comments: