Monday, August 18, 2008

Work

So I got back from the capital today. I went up yesterday in the morning, and got back this afternoon. I went up for my friend Tony's birthday party. It was pretty good. Coffee, followed by dinner at a restaurant that I felt somewhat under dressed for. Then we walked around Elgin street and whatnot. Then we could this bar on Elgin that does Karaoke on Sundays, which I thought was really cool. Now I know where I can sing next time I'm in Ottawa.

Speaking of Karaoke, this past Saturday night was my first successful night as a Karaoke DJ. The monitors worked. The night started off slowly. Slowly as in I only had three singers with a bunch of songs each. But as the night went on, a couple friends showed up and more singers joined the rotation. I went from "struggling to keep a good rotation without hearing the same singer every other song" to "I can't take anymore songs, the list is already full for the night!" My friends Tyler, Joanna, Matt and Newman showed up. I was happiest to see Newman and Joanna, to be honest. Matt's got a bit of a mouth to him, and he isn't really aware that I know about what he says about me behind his back. I know Newman from Tuesday night karaoke at McKibbin's, and he alone made the night more bearable. Especially since his performances behind the microphone made this one asshole a lot less asshole-like.

It was a good night, sure, and I was happy to get paid at the end of it, but it wasn't very fun. I think the main thing that contributed to the "no fun" part was that none of my Phoenix friends were there. Guess where they were? A cast party for a play that was organized and put on by the old karaoke DJ, Evan. I knew about the play months and months ago. Evan had even asked me to be a part of it way back when. But guess what; in the end I didn't get to be a part of it, and while all my other friends were partying and having fun, not one of them thought to at least swing by the Phoenix to see how I was doing or tell me how the play went. So I was a little disappointed by that fact. I thought/hoped that they would all come by the Phoenix after the play and have their "cast party" there, but in the end, no. No one thought of me. Some friends, eh?

Newman's awesome though. He's turning out to be a better friend than I thought. I don't have his email or phone number or anything like that though, so I see him when I see him, but whenever he's around, I have a good time. He even waited for me after closing to give me a ride home, which was really nice of him, considering that if he didn't give me a ride, I'd be waiting 3 hours for the STM (Montreal public transit system) to start again to catch a bus home. I mean, like, I knew I'd have to wait for buses when I accepted the job, and was totally willing to, but it was such a relief to have a ride home.

I'm looking forward to Karaoke tomorrow night at McKibbin's. I'm also looking forward to school that starts next Monday. The superhero plays I wrote? I finished one of the costume pieces; a burnt up tee-shirt that looks like it had been on fire. I literally lit it on fire to make it look the way it does. Just... it's so fragile that I'm only going to get one real use out of it, so I'm saving it for the play itself. Fun, eh? Next up, concerning costume pieces, will be the utility belt for Cover Art, since that play requires a superhero costume of sorts.

So, all in all, it was a half bad, half fun weekend.

No comments: