Saturday, August 2, 2008

Speed Racer

When I'm on my bike, I can be pretty fast. It's easy to pick up speed for me, and I always,
always, pedal on the heaviest gear. Why? So I can get a workout even if I'm at a decent yet not-too-speedy pace. My lower body is really in shape, and I try to keep it that way. I enjoy riding my bike.

But when a friend in need calls me and the only thing you want to do is make sure they're safe, well, let's just say it's good to be in shape.

Close to half past midnight, my friend Chloe (not Chloe from my first post, that was just an alter ego) starts chatting with me, asking for a quick and painless way to die. I just thought she was writing a short story or something, but I don't give her any ideas. I ask her what it's for. Next she tells me that even if she wanted to, she wouldn't be brave enough to. Chloe would never commit suicide, but death was on the mind, so immediately I told her that we were going to meet somewhere.

I live maybe a 30 minute walk from Chloe's place. Walking at my pace that is (long strides and fast pace). But I made that trip in six minutes flat on my bike. I raced over and caught her at the end of her block. We were going to meet at a park between our places, but I just raced over there. We sat outside for a couple minutes before going back inside to be comfortable in her living room. She told me what was going on and why she was so depressed and worried and troubled while I cleaned up a cut she had gotten earlier that evening cooking (she's home alone for the weekend, and she tends to get careless about injuries). By the time she finished her story, I had finished dressing the cut. (NO the cut was not self inflicted.)

This is how much I value my true friends. Not assholes who call me their friend but really don't give a flying rats ass about whether I'm alive or face down in a gutter. For my true friends, I would be there for them in a heartbeat. No matter who I was with, what I was doing, or even if I was in the middle of some breakthrough that could cure cancer; friends come first. True friends even more so. So I cleared a vast distance in record time for her.

And that's my story for the night. It's what I just got home from.

PS: Chloe's alright, or at least she will be. She keeps the promises she makes to friends, and she promised me we'd hang out tomorrow for a little bit. This way I can make sure that she didn't try anything and that she really is (or is going to be) alright.

No comments: